Your process may be running inefficiently and under production capacity. This can reduce profitability, take up valuable floor space or decrease production. Discover and fix those inefficiencies with proven process intensification systems from EPIC.
Process intensification uses or combines technologies to produce significantly smaller,
cleaner or more energy efficient processes. Process intensification will reduce your process footprint, save on energy inputs, and reduce overall costs for equipment at scales from R&D bench units up to industrial production plants.
Our process experts recognize where inefficiencies are in your production and can offer alternative technologies that: reduce production time, condense multiple processing steps into one, or improve efficiency. EPIC provides non-traditional scaled solutions for process intensification systems that meet the distinct demands of our clients. Contact an engineer or call (314) 845-0077 to get started with your process evaluation today.
Proven Examples of Process Intensification Systems:
Sonication Used to Speed Liquid Processing
A long processing time for a specific chemical limited a client to low production levels. Using sonication methods to vibrate particles during formulation, EPIC was able to intensify the process and significantly increase production. Applying sonication of sufficient energy for the required residence time, produced the desired result. This allowed the client to realize much higher levels of product by reducing the reaction time.
Key Features: Sonication system, liquids processing
High Speed Injection System Doubles Product Offering at Half the Cost
Lacking floor space but needing to drastically expand product offerings and production, a client approached EPIC with a traditional blending and filling system. EPIC re-designed the system for high-speed, multi-stream injection. This redesign condensed the existing systems floor space, doubled the number of products the client could blend, and cut the new system cost in half.
Key Features: High speed liquid injection system, coupled blending and filling system, JIT blending, back pressure control, product-to-product washout with re-blend system.
Micro-Reactor System for Biofuel Process
An alternative energy project required a pilot plant to test a new technology for converting biomass to liquid fuel. EPIC designed and built a module with a micro-reactor that allowed the client to test the new technology while producing biofuel. Production costs and utility usage were also a concern, and the micro-reactor system allowed the client to reduce both costs.
Key Features: Micro-reactor, multi-stage separation process, biomass to liquid fuel system, integrated utility system
“We had no doubt that the innovative solutions built and automated by EPIC would far surpass industry and market standards for accuracy, saving us time, money and future redesign. We wanted to be challenged to build the most innovative and most efficient systems for our manufacturing processes. With all of their recommendations, EPIC provided solid rationale for this caliber of advanced systems.”
–Lead project engineer | industrial chemical company
Process Intensification Methods and Equipment
Process intensification is the development of novel equipment and methods that bring dramatic improvements in manufacturing and processing. These techniques substantially decrease equipment-size to production-capacity ratio, energy consumption, or waste production. This ultimately results in cheaper, sustainable technologies. You can read more about process intensification techniques in this paper by the Netherlands Enterprise Agency.
For manufacturers, process intensification can:
- Reduce energy and utility use
- Reduce capital expenditures
- Reduce plant size and process system footprint
- Provide environmental/regulatory benefits
- Improve safety by lowering the volume of hazardous or toxic compounds in process
Our turnkey modular approach further saves you money, chiefly by reducing the overall project timeline. You can see more benefits of modular process skid design, including safety, quality and faster installation benefits, on our Advantages to Modular page.
Click the drop down, to view current methods and unit operations/major equipment used for process intensification below. Contact an engineer or call (314) 845-0077 to discuss your specific application.
- Alternative forms/sources of energy
- Crystallization of nano-particles
- Dense fluids
- Flash evaporation
- Gliding Arc Technology
- High Gravity (HIGEE) Technology
- High value technologies
- Hybrid separations
- Integrated reaction &separation methods, heat exchange or phase transition (multifunctional reactors)
- Intentionally unsteady state operation
- MNR/MRI Measurement Technology
- Monolithic Catalysts
- New or hybrid separations
- Removing impurities
- Solar energy driven reactions
- Supercritical fluids (SCF’s)
- Supercritical single phase
- Advanced flow reactors (AFR)
- Compact heat exchangers
- Ebullated bed reactors
- Flash evaporators
- In-line high-shear mixers
- Membrane distillation
- Membrane reactors
- Membrane Reactors
- Microchannel reactors
- Micro-channel reactors
- Microwave heating
- Monolithic reactors
- Multifunctional Reactors
- Permeation reactors
- Plasma vacuums
- Reactive distillation
- Solar chemical reactors
- Spinning Disc Reactors (SDR’s)
- Spinning Tube in Tube Reactor (STT)
- Supercritical fluid technologies
- Upstream reactors
How to Get Your Turnkey Process Intensification System
Contact EPIC or call us at (314) 845-0077 to discuss your process intensification application. We start with an evaluation of your current process flow diagram and a discussion about alternative technologies. After a thorough discussion of project goals, budget, and technology, both parties determine if the project is a commercial and technical fit. Then we progress through the following:
- Front-end engineering thoroughly maps out your project steps and process parameters, resulting in an optimized system design. EPIC’s scale-up specialists simulate your process at the increased scale, complete Process Flow Diagrams (PFD’s), Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID’s), material balances, equipment lists and any other required design documentation to present you with a complete bid package.
- Fabrication and controls begin once the project is agreed upon at the end of front-end engineering and detailed design complete. Our state-of-the-art fabrication plant allows for remote system fabrication that does not interfere with any on-site civil modifications taking place at your facility.
- Your completed process intensification system is fully tested before shipment, and arrives on-site ready for process hookups. Installation typically takes less than a week for modular systems, and on-site commissioning begins immediately.
- Start-up is completed at your site and training is provided for system operators. EPIC will not leave until all punch-list items are checked off, and you feel comfortable running and troubleshooting the system.