EPIC’s distillation experts can design custom fractional distillation columns that meet and exceed your separation needs. Our experts take your separation goals, budget and process considerations and use advanced simulation methods and our proven engineering approach to find an optimal system design. Once a finalized design is approved, our skilled craftsmen will build a custom fractional distillation column for your plant.
We have decades of experience and 420+ successful system startups with multi-scale industrial systems and columns. EPIC has worked extensively with both batch and continuous distillation operations. Our systems can be stand-alone distillation columns or larger systems that encorperate multiple columns and other unit operations.
- Distillation Tower for Alternative EnergyEPIC helped Akermin reach a pilot plant size for their distillation system that was suitable in budget and technical capability. Using stainless steel tubing was suggested by EPIC's fabrication team, expert distillation column manufacturers.
- EPIC Systems combines the design, engineering, fabrication and integration to a single point of project responsibility. We are experienced in taking your distillation technology and applying our expertise in column sizing, mechanical design and process manufacturing. Learn more about EPIC’s approach to detailed design engineering…
- Dual Distillation Skid DesignA two-part design was developed for an ethanol extraction system that needed to fit in a small space. The overall project timeline was shortened due to on-site upgrades happening in parallel with skid fabrication.
View more distillation systems and plants in our photo galleryView Full Gallery
Proven Project Example: Fractional Distillation Column
A dual distillation column system, designed as a modular system, to separate ethanol from water using a fractional column. A reflux system is included to maximize separation by recycling distillate to the column for a cleaner separation. The modular system design minimized interruption to existing operations for the client, and allowed easier installation of the new ethanol separation system. Full case study…
Key Features: Dual fractional distillation column design, hot oil evaporation system, reflux loops, hydrotesting, FEA analysis, vacuum pump integrated design
A two-part design was developed for an ethanol extraction system that needed to fit into a small space as part of EPIC’s turnkey responsibility process. Overall project timeline shortened due to on-site upgrades and skid fabrication progressing in tandem. The finished “plug and play” skid was delivered as two separate framed pieces to the client site and successfully navigated to the installation spot. Continue to the Fractional Distillation Design case study…
Key Features: Two distillation units, reflux loops, hot oil system, heat exchanger, hydrotesting, FEA analysis, vacuum pump system to lower required energy inputs.
“I have had the pleasure to work with EPIC on numerous successful jobs, and I’ve been impressed with their team of process engineers and skilled craftsmen. They are adept at achieving specified separations through column sizing and process modeling. Quality and customer service are clearly priorities for EPIC, and I recommend them for any fractional distillation project” – Dr. Terry Tolliver, Distillation Consultant Expert and former Senior Fellow at Solutia/Monsanto
Next Steps for Getting a Custom Fractional Column Designed & Built
- Have a basic outline of your process technology and accompanying data– EPIC does not provide specific process technologies. You should know what you are separating, and a basic process for achieving that separation. EPIC will help you scale your process into a working pilot plant or full-scale production system.
- Contact EPIC or call us at (314) 328-0189 to discuss your application and our turnkey responsibility methods. A thorough discussion of your distillation goals, budget and technology will help both parties determine if this project is a technical and commercial fit.
- Front-end engineering and system design are completed as project partners. EPIC’s distillation scale-up specialists simulate your process parameters at the increased scale, complete Process Flow Diagrams (PFD’s), Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID’s), material balances, equipment lists and any other required design documentation to present you with a complete bid package.
- Fabrication and controls engineering will begin on your custom fractional distillation system. Our state-of-the-art fabrication plant allows for off-site system fabrication while any on-site civil modifications take place at your facility. An open door policy means you are welcome to come to EPIC to see your distillation module take shape at any point during the process.
- Testing, shipping and installation. Your completed fractionating column will be fully tested before shipment, and arrives on-site ready for process hookups. Installation typically takes less than a week for modular distillation systems, and on-site commissioning will begin immediately.33
- Full system start-up is complete, and training is provided for system operators. EPIC will not leave until all punch-list items are checked off and you feel comfortable running and troubleshooting the system.