Separation of your chemicals requires distillation columns that are expertly designed to achieve separation without added expense. Designers must size equipment correctly for your process to be successful. We have over 20 years of proven industrial column design & fabrication experience. Our engineers are experts in sizing, mechanical design, system modeling, and practical design for manufacturing environments.
EPIC Systems combines design, engineering, fabrication and integration to a single point of turn key project responsibility. We take your separation technology and use our proven engineering methods to model it for separation feasibility at desired production rates.
See examples of recent distillation towers completed by EPIC:
Our gallery has images of some recent separation and distillation column skids completed by EPIC. For specific examples of applications or industries, please contact EPIC: (314) 845-0077.
A Proven Approach to Distillation Column Design
EPIC Modular Process Systems guides your systems from initial concept to complete startup through all phases of:
- Industrial Fractionating System Design
- Simulation software is used to iterate a proposed separation strategy
- Mass and energy balances are calculated accurately
- Physical plant design is completed using 3-D CAD software.
- Equipment Specification and Procurement
- Detailed P&IDs are developed for the industrial fractionating system
- Equipment and instrumentation is specified and compared across several vendors
- Equipment is ordered in congruence with project timeline and equipment lead time
- Process Automation
- EPIC’s controls engineers design a robust and intuitive control system strategy to automate the system
- System programming and electrical wiring is completed in parallel with equipment assembly and fabrication
- Distillation System Fabrication
- Column fabrication happens inside EPIC’s state-of-the-art machine shop
- Quality assurance checks are performed throughout the fabrication and assembly process
- Complete system is fully tested per ASME requirements
- Plant Construction Management
- EPIC oversees and actively manages site civil and facilities engineering
- Site civil and facility modifications occur in parallel with distillation tower fabrication in the EPIC fabrication plant
- Onsite System Installation
- Completed modules are insured, packaged, and shipped to our client’s manufacturing sites where installation is supervised by EPIC’s experienced project managers
- System Start-Up and Support
- EPIC’s engineers provide startup coverage until the distillation plant is fully functional.
We strive to take the burdens of project management from our clients, regardless of the industry, to apply innovative technology and dedicated project oversight.
Contact EPIC Modular Process Systems to learn more or to discuss how we can help you meet your manufacturing objectives with a custom fractional column design.
Key Advantages Provided by EPIC on Distillation Projects
Our experienced control & mechanical engineering teams will design, manage and integrate the proper instrumentation and controls for each fractionating column. Our skilled manufacturing crew will utilize proven designs to fabricate and then test modular skids that will minimize installation time and condense space. We are an experienced distillation column manufacturer, with in-house ASPEN Plus & HYSYS modeling, fabrication and controls integration capabilities.
- Flexibility of Equipment Integration
One size does not fit all, and our modular fractionation columns are integrated with any equipment or existing application. We build a wide variety of reliable resources for the best equipment solution, regardless of vendor, and work with you or other engineering and fabrication companies on any stage of your project. We utilize our proprietary modular process approach to integrate your modular distillation system design faster, with the elimination of plant shut downs through the use of our parallel construction techniques
- Proven Engineering During The Design Phase
Integrating the proper equipment and distillation column design should be carefully reviewed by skilled process engineers before building a full scale plant. Cost, chemical interactions and equipment needs change as larger output is required. Critical factors must be determined during the design phase, such as; boiling point elevation, surface tension, solubility, maximum achievable concentration
- Advantages to Modular Design
Our modular fabrication approach to fractionation column has many advantages, including; reduced costs, higher quality fabrication, faster time to market, improved safety, less resource requirements, flexibility. To learn specifically how modular fabrication achieves these benefits, please visit our Advantages of Modular Fabrication page.Reduced cost
EPIC has successfully completed proven distillation column design, build and integration in the following industries:
- Corn to ethanol – Converting corn biomass to ethanol fuel through fermentation, chemical processing and distillation.
- Cellulosic fuels – Converting the cellulose of plants and wood to biofuels including ethanol, butanol, diesel, gasoline, and jet fuel
- Biobutonal – Producing butonal from biomass through extraction of glucose and butyrate, chemical treatment, fermentation and fractionation.
- Biodiesel – Using transesterification or alcoholysis to react vegetable oils or animal fats with short-chain aliphatic alcohols to produce biodiesel
- Biomethane to gasoline – Gases released in the natural fermentation of dead plant and animal material, household waste, or sewage are converted into biogas by anaerobic digestion or fermentation. Examples of biogas components are methane (CH4) and carbon dioxide (CO2) and small amounts of hydrogen sulphide (H2S) and siloxanes.
- Biomass products to synthesized crude oil – Hydrocarbon chains are extracted from biomass through pressure cooking and thermal depolymerization and processed into biofuels
- Industrial chemicals – Common bulk and commodity chemicals
- Specialty chemicals – Smaller quantity rarer chemicals often involving more complex formulas
- Natural gas