Do you need to remove impurities or reclaim resources from your process stream? Maximize your separation with a proven industrial absorption system from EPIC.
Get a customized turnkey absorption column that delivers consistent results from our absorption and project management experts. Specific process streams, solvents and operating ranges are evaluated to accommodate your budget and process goals. EPIC develops turnkey solutions that are both commercially and technically feasible.
Featured Example: Proven Absorption System by EPIC
On a mission to reduce greenhouse gases, Akermin approached EPIC to design and build a demonstration plant to test their new C02 removal technology. Using a proprietary biocatalyst delivery system, the absorption system successfully removed 90% of CO2 from flue gas at the National Carbon Capture Center in Wilsonville, AL. Recently the test absorption column was expanded after completing over 1,600 hours of successful continuous operation. More..
Key Features: Two-column absorption systems, proprietary client technology, DeltaV DCS controls
We were impressed with the professionalism and dedication of EPIC Systems’ entire organization, from the shop floor to their management team. Throughout the entire project, their team communicated with clarity and transparency. I recommend their project management expertise to other organizations requiring a turnkey contractor for design, fabrication, and commissioning.” – Bob Martinelli, Director, Engineering Operations at Akermin, Inc.
How Absorption Columns Work
Industrial chemical absorption is defined as a process in which one or more soluble components (solutes) are removed from the gas phase by contact with a liquid phase (solvent) into which the components of interest dissolve. These systems typically work as follows:
- Basic absorption systems consist of a gas stream being introduced at or near the bottom of a packed column.
- As the gas rises through the column, a solvent is introduced at or near the top of the column.
- The solvent trickles down the packed column, coming into contact with the rising gas.
- The solvent droplets effectively absorb certain elements in the gas stream and gravity takes the mixture down to a holding tank.
- The holding tank collects either an impurity to be removed from a gas stream or a valuable resource that you want to reclaim.
- The elements in the gas that are not absorbed by the solvent, continue to rise to the top of the column and are removed. Typically, these gases are inert.
- A further separation of the solvent can be added from the element absorbed into it.
Our engineers design, simulate and optimize your absorption column using Aspen Plus/Aspen HYSYS. Important design factors are:
- The diffusion of bulk moving fluid
- Eqi-molar counter-diffusion
- Mass transfer
- Equilibrium solubility curve
We design, build, install, and complete startup at your location utilizing our unique turnkey design/build process. Contact an engineer today or call (314) 845-0077 to get started on your custom system.
How to Get Turnkey Absorption Systems
- Contact EPIC or call us at (314) 845-0077 to discuss your application. A thorough discussion of your solvent recovery goals, budget and technology will help both parties determine if this project is a technical and commercial fit.
- Front-end engineering and design are completed with EPIC as your project partners. EPIC’s scale-up specialists simulate your process at the increased scale, complete Process Flow Diagrams (PFD’s), Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID’s), material balances, equipment lists and any other required design documentation to present you with a complete bid package.
- Fabrication and controls engineering begins. Our state-of-the-art fabrication plant allows for remote system fabrication that does not interfere with any on-site civil modifications take place at your facility.
- Testing, shipping and installation. Your completed absorption systems will be fully tested before shipment, and arrives on-site ready for process hookups. Installation typically takes less than a week for modular distillation systems, and on-site commissioning will begin immediately.
- Full system start-up is complete, and training is provided for system operators. EPIC will not leave until all punch-list items are checked off and you feel comfortable running and troubleshooting the system.
Contact an engineer today or call (314) 845-0077 to get started on your custom absorption system.