Looking for something larger than pilot plant scale? EPIC has over twenty years of demonstration plant design, fabrication and installation experience.
Your process technology will be scaled to a level that proves viability and outputs at significant production levels. Commercial feasibility, market testing and on-going process optimization are proven with EPIC Demonstration Modules.
Our modular, skid mounted systems are built specifically for your application and are delivered on-site, fully tested, and ready to “plug-and-play.” Get your process technology to market faster, and more cost effectively with a proven demonstration plant from EPIC.
Contact an engineer today: 314-714-1580.
Featured Demonstration Plant Case Studies
Demonstration Plant for Bio-polymers Proves Production Viability for New Technologies
A demonstration plant was needed to validate a new bio-polymer additive for asphalt, a technology developed by Iowa State University and licensed by Argo Genesis. The two-phase batching and distillation plant is currently being used to produce sample batches of the final product, and will be used to prove production viability for a series of new products in the future. Simulating commercial-level production with the module is a key milestone for the new asphalt additive.
Key Features: Batch reaction, steam injection, steam distillation, demonstration plant
View more demonstration plants in the photo gallery
“We were impressed with the professionalism and dedication of EPIC Systems’ entire organization, from the shop floor to their management team. This demonstration plant project was a first-of-its-kind for Akermin. Project scope changes were handled quickly and equitably. I would return to EPIC for future projects and I recommend their project management expertise to other organizations requiring a turnkey contractor for design, fabrication, and commissioning.”
– Bob Martinelli, Director, Engineering Operations | Akermin, Inc.
Demonstration Plant Goals & Design Factors
All demonstration plants have similar goals and key design factors, similar to pilot plants. Demonstration plant supplies should use your process goals to balance these design factors and design your custom module. Common goals include:
- Validate testing data, either from a lab test or a pilot plant test
- Prove that a new technology or chemical formulation can be successfully produced by commercial equipment
- Produce product in large enough amounts to attract investors, show business viability, or test in a market
- Create a permanent, flexible process system that can be used to bring multiple formulations or technologies to a commercial market test
- Gather additional data on process parameters at a larger operating capacity
- Demonstrate a clear path to return on investment (ROI) for producing the end product
- Optimize a process or automate a low-volume production
The design factors that have to be balanced for successful scale-up include:
- Non-linear process design
- Reaction Kinetics
- Chemical equilibrium
- Material interactions
- Fluid dynamics
- Agitation methods
- Equipment selection
These factors can be modeled and tested through software and studies by experienced process design engineers like EPIC. We use the following to design demonstrations plants and generate material balances, operating parameters and physical system design:
- Chemical similitude studies
- Mathematical modeling
- 3D modeling & process modeling (Aspen/HYSYS modeling)
- Finite Elemental Analysis (FEA)
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
Get Your Demonstration Plant: Next Steps
Our proven methodology and turnkey responsibility for every project means your fully tested and operational demonstration skid will be delivered on-time. Turnkey means our in-house experts take your project from design, through fabrication, to installation and successful startup.
The following steps comprise our design-build process for every demonstration modular:
- Step 1:Contact or call 314-714-1580 to discuss your application with an EPIC Engineer, who discusses your project with you. A mutual commercial and technical fit is evaluated by both parties.
- Step 2:Your team meets with our technical team to complete Front-End Engineering, to ensure the proper steps are taken during plant design and build
- Step 3: Your team receives and reviews detailed design documents, once EPIC’s experts have selected equipment and finished 3D modeling/simulation.
- Step 4:Controls engineering begins for your system, with completion during system assembly
- Step 5:Modular fabrication is completed. Our approach reduces traditional downtime through parallel construction, resulting in cost-savings, increased safety and faster project delivery. EPIC maintains an open door client policy to promote innovation and communication during all stages of design/build. We invite clients to visit EPIC throughout project design and construction stages
- Step 6:Full FAT testing is conducted at EPIC’s shop, with completed demonstration modules shipped to your facility for installation.
- Step 7:Installation and start-up (commissioning) is executed at your facility, with minimal interruption to existing operations. Our team imparts a transfer of knowledge, not just basic training, for the systems and equipment we provide
EPIC has experience in many product categories and industries, including:
- Alternative/green energy
- Automotive chemicals
- Industrial Chemicals
- Agricultural chemicals
- Consumer products
For specific project examples or to discuss your application, contact an engineer today: 314-714-1580.