Food Processing Systems & Pilot Plants for Food Processing
In food processing there’s little room for error. Consistent production, tight temperature controls, accurate batching, and rigorous quality control are required to deliver consumable foods that not only taste right but also meet FDA standards. EPIC has extensive experience designing & building food processing systems that increase yields and reduce costs without sacrificing quality.
From sanitary batching systems to pilot plants for formulation or continuous ingredient injection systems, EPIC designs and builds food-grade process systems that minimize bacteria growth and ensure food safety. We can use tanks, Clean in Place (CIP) and pigging systems to guarantee your systems remain sanitary between production runs. Common food & beverage process systems we design and build include:
- Alcohol mixing and delivery systems
- Automated beverage mixing systems
- Baby food line automation
- Batching systems
- Continuous mixing systems
- Dairy product mixing and packaging
- Flavor mixing
- Fragrance mixing systems
- Ingredient processing
- Pet food mixing, coating and packaging systems
- Syrup mixing and filling lines
- Pilot plants for formulation & food processing
With extensive experience serving food producers across the U.S., EPIC is one of the most trusted food process system engineering firms in the country. We’ve been designing food grade processing systems for decades and are outfitted with our own sanitary fabrication shop and comprehensive documentation checkout process.
Learn more below about our team’s extensive experience and complete design-build capabilities, or contact an engineer to discuss your project or our specialized expertise in process systems engineering and sanitary processing equipment.
Food Processing Systems & Pilot Plant in Food Industry Examples
Pilot Plant for Food Processing Capitalizes on Modular Build of Sanitary Batching and Blending Systems
International Food Products was moving and expanding operations to a new, $20 million facility in St. Louis, Missouri. We provided pre-engineered sanitary blending pilot plant for food processing with multiple batch mixing systems for both liquid and powder products. EPIC designed, built and integrated the sanitary food ingredient skids. In addition, we integrated and expanded seven liquid and powder packaging lines. The project included:
- Integrating existing equipment into the new facility and balancing its integration with a fast-track design-build schedule for the new system
- Training of new employees on expanded manufacturing capabilities
- Higher automation in new systems, which allowed for better product tracking and quality control
We delivered the start-up on time and on budget, helping International Foods nearly double their offerings and production capacity.
With limited budget and floor space, our Fortune 500 client needed to double the flavors mixed in their existing facility. A pre-engineered, field-proven in-line blending skid from EPIC provided a fast, economic solution that allowed the client to drastically expand their product portfolio with minimal equipment additions.
- Product offering expansion — We designed and built a continuous in-line blending system that halved our client’s costs and saved valuable floor space compared to their traditional batch mixing system, eliminating the need for multiple storage tanks.
- Accurate blending — EPIC designed, fabricated and installed all the ingredient trees with flow control valves integrated to achieve the highest accuracy and flexibility.
- Homogeneous mixture — A mixer in the surge tank was added to guarantee a homogeneous mixture before product reached the filler.
- Line start-up/shut-down — Frequent line startup/shut-down and product changeover were anticipated and addressed through control logic.
- Scrap Reduction — We delivered a re-blend system that allowed the client to add 3-5% re-blend back to the mixture and saved potentially wasted materials
- 20 Flavors on just one process line — EPIC’s proven in-line blending skid design allowed two different products and over 20 different flavors to be mixed on one food processing systems
- On time and on budget
“EPIC has completed many projects for Pinnacle Foods over the last four years, successfully updating many areas of our manufacturing facility with new equipment, programming modifications, and construction management. EPIC is a preferred integrator for Pinnacle because they offer automation, mechanical integration, fabrication and process system services all from one company. Their experience in project management and manufacturing combined with quick service makes them a valuable partner during integration projects and facility upgrades.”
– Robert Hollinshead, Project Engineer | Pinnacle Foods
- EPIC provided pre-engineered sanitary blending food process systems to International Food Products, who was moving and expanding operations to a new, $20 million facility in St. Louis, Missouri. These systems were equipped with multiple batch mixing systems for both liquid and powder products
- EPIC's project with IFP included Integrating existing equipment into the new facility while balancing its integration with a fast-track design-build schedule for the new system, training of new employees on expanded manufacturing capabilities, and higher automation in new systems, which allowed for better product tracking and quality control.
- In the end, the food processing plant was built with several sanitary food ingredient skids. EPIC's project management team also integrated and expanded seven liquid and powder packaging lines for IFP.
- EPIC provided a pre-engineered, field-proven in-line blending skid to a Fortune 500 client who needed to double their flavor mixing capabilities at their existing facility. EPIC's solution was a fast, economic solution that allowed the client to drastically expand their product portfolio with minimal equipment additions.
- Sparkling wines
- Sparkling waters
- Non-carbonated beverages
- Nutritional supplements
- Frozen foods
- Baby food