Production And Pilot Plants for Food Processing
In food processing there’s little room for error. Consistent production, tight temperature controls, accurate batching, and rigorous quality control are required to deliver consumable foods that not only taste right but also meet FDA standards. EPIC has extensive experience designing & building food processing systems (including mixing in, blending in, beverage manufacturing process, etc) that increase yields and reduce costs without sacrificing quality.
From sanitary batching systems to pilot plants for formulation, EPIC designs and builds food processing and beverage manufacturing systems. EPIC’s food processing equipment minimizes bacteria growth to ensure food safety, while increasing yields and reducing costs. We can use tanks, Clean in Place (CIP) and pigging systems to guarantee your systems remain sanitary between production runs.
- EPIC provided pre-engineered sanitary blending food process systems to International Food Products, who was moving and expanding operations to a new, $20 million facility in St. Louis, Missouri. These systems were equipped with multiple batch mixing systems for both liquid and powder products
- EPIC's project with IFP included Integrating existing food processing equipment into the new facility while balancing its integration with a fast-track design-build schedule for the new system, training of new employees on expanded food and beverage manufacturing capabilities, and higher automation in new systems, which allowed for better product tracking and quality control.
- In the end, the food processing plant was built with several sanitary food ingredient skids. EPIC's project management team also integrated and expanded seven mixing in food processing liquid and powder packaging lines for IFP.
- EPIC provided a pre-engineered, field-proven in-line blending skid to a Fortune 500 client who needed to double their flavor mixing capabilities at their existing facility. EPIC's solution was a fast, economic solution that allowed the client to drastically expand their product portfolio with minimal equipment additions.
Food Processing Systems & Pilot Plant in Food Industry Examples
Pilot Plant for Food Processing Capitalizes on Modular Build of Sanitary Batching and Blending Systems
International Food Products was moving and expanding operations to a new, $20 million facility in St. Louis, Missouri. EPIC provided a pre-engineered sanitary blending pilot plant for food processing with multiple batch mixing systems for both liquid and powder products. As food and beverage manufacturing consultants, EPIC designed, built and integrated the sanitary food ingredient skids. In addition, EPIC integrated seven liquid and powder packaging lines. The project included:
- Integrating existing food processing equipment into the new facility and balancing its integration with a fast-track design-build schedule for the new system
- Training of new employees on expanded food production manufacturing capabilities
- Higher automation in new systems, which allowed for better product tracking and quality control
EPIC delivered the start-up on time and on budget, helping International Foods nearly double their offerings and production capacity.
With limited budget and floor space, our Fortune 500 client needed to double the flavors mixed in their existing facility. A pre-engineered, field-proven in-line blending skid from EPIC provided a fast, economic solution that allowed the client to drastically expand their product portfolio with minimal food processing equipment additions
- Product offering expansion — EPIC’s food and beverage manufacturing consultants designed and built a continuous in-line blending system that halved our client’s costs and saved valuable floor space compared to their traditional batch mixing system, eliminating the need for multiple storage tanks.
- Accurate blending — EPIC designed, fabricated and installed all the ingredient trees with flow control valves integrated to achieve the highest accuracy and flexibility.
- Homogeneous mixture — A mixer in the surge tank was added to guarantee a homogeneous mixture before product reached the filler.
- Line start-up/shut-down — Frequent line startup/shut-down and product changeover were anticipated and addressed through control logic.
- Scrap Reduction — We delivered a re-blend system that allowed the client to add 3-5% re-blend back to the mixture and saved potentially wasted materials
- 20 Flavors on just one process line — EPIC’s proven in-line blending skid design allowed two different products and over 20 different flavors to be mixed on one mixing in food processing food processing systems
- On time and on budget
“EPIC has completed many projects for Pinnacle Foods over the last four years, successfully updating many areas of our manufacturing facility with new equipment, programming modifications, and construction management. EPIC is a preferred integrator for Pinnacle because they offer automation, mechanical integration, fabrication and process system services all from one company. Their experience in project management and manufacturing combined with quick service makes them a valuable partner during integration projects and facility upgrades.”
– Robert Hollinshead, Project Engineer | Pinnacle Foods
With extensive experience serving food producers across the U.S., EPIC is one of the most trusted food process system engineering firms in the country. We’ve been designing food grade processing systems for decades and are outfitted with our own sanitary fabrication shop and comprehensive documentation checkout process. Common food & beverage process systems we design and build include:
- Alcohol mixing and delivery systems
- Automated beverage mixing systems
- Baby food line automation
- Batching systems
- Continuous mixing systems
- Dairy product mixing and packaging
- Flavor mixing
- Fragrance mixing systems
- Ingredient processing
- Pet food mixing, coating and packaging systems
- Syrup mixing and filling lines
- Pilot plants for formulation & food processing
- Sparkling wines
- Sparkling waters
- Non-carbonated beverages
- Nutritional supplements
- Frozen foods
- Baby food