EPIC designed and fabricated a vacuum distillation system for a liquid flavors company in the food and beverage industry. The client needed to scale up production of an existing batch distillation process of a proprietary liquid flavor that had seen a spike in popularity. Process engineers at EPIC worked closely with the customer – who could not provide an original P&ID – to design a larger, improved version of the original vacuum distillation system.
Client: A Liquid Flavors Manufacturer
Industry: Food and Beverage
- No access to previous design documents for a proprietary distillation process
- Space constraints at the facility required a careful design and installation plan for the larger distillation tower
- High purity and recovery specifications had to be met
The client provided strict purity and recovery specifications for the vacuum distillation system, but provided little information about the design of the smaller existing system. Through detailed conversations with the client, EPIC’s process engineers and designers were able to reverse-engineer a system that would produce the same quality of product at higher efficiency and production output.
Space constraints at the flavor manufacturing facility meant system design had to accommodate a challenging installation for a 22-foot distillation tower. EPIC’s modular designers solved this issue by designing a split-level vacuum distillation system that could be easily disassembled at EPIC into two major sections and quickly re-assembled and installed onsite. Interactive 3D CAD models of the split-level vacuum distillation design allowed the client to approve the plan before the skid was built. This gave EPIC’s in-house skilled craftsmen a detailed model to follow during fabrication.
KEY SYSTEM FEATURES
- The final vacuum distillation system included a 22-foot vacuum distillation column.
- The split-level modular design of this vacuum distillation system allowed for easy disassembly for shipping and re-assembly for startup.
- This distillation system included a dedicated temperature control unit (TCU), complete with individual control loops for customizable temperature control.
- Other features of this vacuum distillation system included a vacuum pump and a 230-gallon stainless steel tank.
AN EPIC IMPACT:
The final vacuum distillation system featured:
- Increased liquid flavor purity and recovery of product
- A larger and more efficient distillation column with:
- Greater throughput
- And faster production of the liquid flavor product
Contact EPIC to speak with an engineer about your vacuum distillation project or call 314-845-0077.