EPIC Modular Process Systems provides turnkey process skids and systems by following our proven methods from concept to commissioning. Each system we build begins as your idea, and must be carefully integrated to achieve your goals, without exceeding your budget. For each modular process system EPIC builds, we follow these steps:
Step 1: Concept
The first stage of any project is the concept stage, provided by the client. Whether a sketch on a napkin or a full Process Flow Diagram (PFD), EPIC will discuss your concept with you and determine the steps required to make it happen. EPIC will help you develop your PFD or fill-in the intermediate processing steps before moving into the design stage and developing full Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID’s).
Step 2: Front-End Engineering
The concept development stage begins with the front-end engineering process. As we discuss your goals and objects for your modular process skid or system, EPIC works with you to determine the project scope and design aspects. EPIC will present several options for cost and time savings based on the goals and budget that are mutually agreed upon during this stage.
STEP 3: Process System Design
- Detailed Design: After an initial project scope has been determined, EPIC will complete a detailed quote that includes:
- Detailed process design
- Mechanical design
- Structural design
- Hardware specification
- Process Safety and HAZOP studies: Safety studies are completed by EPIC’s experienced project managers and our Quality Assurance Specialist. Detailed Hazard and Operability Analysis (HAZOP) reviews are completed to identify risks, hazards and operability problems.
- Equipment Specification and Procurement: Once the quote has been accepted, EPIC will begin acquiring the required materials and parts. All equipment and materials of construction are selected based on quality, suitability to task, compatibility with chemicals, simple function, and throughput capability as well as brand reputation and long-term ease of maintenance.
STEP 4: Process Control System Development
- Control System Development & Process Automation: All control systems/ automation is done in-house by our controls engineers. Control system capabilities include programming, instrumentation design, and electrical design and process data collection systems
- Electrical Design: Centralized or decentralized power distribution, electrical design, and schematics are designed by EPIC’s electrical engineers based on your specific needs, and follow strict NFPA National Electric Code.
- Instrumentation: Process skid instrumentation selection is done by our experienced project managers to ensure that your system has the right instruments to observe, measure, and command the intricacies involved with your process technology.
- Control Programming:Programming is done to your specification and in the logic that fits with your existing platforms and overall manufacturing goals. Program logic’s used include:
- DCS Programming
- Logic Programming
- Operator Interface Programming
- PC-Based Programming
- PLC Programming
- Simulation: Process simulation is conducted for highly complex processes to determine the most favorable conditions for the process, guard against the use of improper strategies, and ensures the right equipment selection.
- Process Data Collection:Key statistics and data parameters are established to develop comprehensive data solutions. Statistics logged can include:
- Inventory management
- Operational and production-related information
- Overall effectiveness of equipment (OEE)
- Product tracking
- Quality assurance
- Scheduling data
STEP 5: Modular Process Design/Build
- Advantages of Modular Process Fabrication: Finished process plants are brought to market faster with modular process fabrication. Through parallel construction and offsite fabrication, modular fabrication reduces downtime associated with traditional construction methods.
- EPIC’s Fabrication Shop: Advantages are provided to our clients through production-style skid fabrication techniques, the controlled environment, and collaboration between project managers and fabrication professionals.
- Quality Assurance Program: Our dedicated Quality Assurance Specialist oversees our rigorous, multi-step QA program.
- Factory Acceptance Testing and Shipment: Formal FAT testing are completed with clients in our fabrication shop prior to shipment. After successful FAT testing, systems are shipped through trusted vendors.
STEP 6: Process System Installation
- System Installation: Our project managers fully integrate and install your new modular process system into your manufacturing facility. This may include plant integration, construction management and control system programming.
- Plant Construction Management:Parallel construction management may include:
- Coordination of site installation
- Oversight by an experienced construction management team
- Surface area grounds work including grading, compaction and drainage
- Piping preparation and underground utilities installation
- Structural modifications
- Plant Integration: Control handshaking, custom hardware and/or software interfaces, plant-wide compatibility, and power supply distribution will be completed by EPIC’s project managers during installation.
- Safety: We follow strict FDA, ASME and AWS guidelines. Our fabrication facility and personnel working in the field follow a strict safety program developed by EPIC.
STEP 7: Startup, Commissioning and Support
- Start-Up and Support: Punch list resolution and operator and maintenance training will be completed by EPIC on your finished skid. Continuing project support is extended to all customers after project completion for troubleshooting any issues.
To learn about the specific types of modular process systems EPIC builds, please visit the modular process homepage and click on one of the categories in the middle of the page. You can also contact EPIC to discuss your specific project with an engineer today.