Modular process fabrication is an approach to building skid mounted systems that utilizes off-site construction to improve project quality and reduce build time. The following sections educate on the benefits of this approach, and explain how we execute modular process projects for process skids and systems.
Modular process fabrication is an off-site construction and integration process for skids that reduces traditional downtime through parallel construction. This means finished process plants are brought to site much faster than using the traditional plant expansion techniques.
EPIC’s skid mounted systems are designed in-house by our process engineers. Our skilled craftspeople work in our plant to bring the comprehensive system to life from these designs. To prepare for on-site installation, our engineers manage the project, prefabrication and plant & skid construction in parallel to ensure your site is ready both internally and externally for the new system.
The advantages of modular fabrication make it an effective alternative to stick-built construction because it results in cost-savings, increased safety, and faster project delivery. Completed skids are safely shipped to the plant where they are then fully installed and prepared for start-up.
A modular approach to your process system means a shorter project completion time by allowing site civil and facilities construction to happen simultaneously along side process skid construction and pre-fabrication activities. Having a modular plant design means your system will be built indoors, under ideal plant conditions, while necessary site civil and facilities engineering is completed. This ultimately leads to better quality and faster completion times.
A modular process system best utilizes layout space and existing plant conditions to plan for the implementation of a new system. Components are simplified as much as possible which reduces overall construction costs and part maintenance complexities.
Explore the additional benefits of a modular process systems approach, including:
SAVES YOU MONEY BY REDUCING COSTS:
- Modules are built faster leading to less labor and material costs
- Lower capital and labor costs are achieved through efficient use of material and a smaller field crew
- For multi-unit projects, maximum capital efficiency is achieved by designing once and building exact duplicates
- Less steel is required
- Product transportation costs are lower as modules can be strategically placed in locations that are closer to end-users
- Off-site construction of skid mounted systems does not interrupt or shut-down pre-existing operations
FASTER TIME TO MARKET:
- Modular skid mounted systems construction occurs in parallel with site civil and facilities work in-plant
- Weather delays are eliminated during fabrication as modules are completed inside the plant
- Start-up time is minimized since modules are shipped fully assembled and tested
- Systems undergo full process system testing and checkout prior to shipment providing faster startup
- Higher quality with full compliance to ASME B31.3 and BPE 2007
- Safety risks are reduced for plant personnel with fewer onsite OSHA exposure hours and smaller crew sizes
- Safety risks are reduced because process skid construction happens in ideal plant conditions
REQUIRES LESS RESOURCES:
- EPIC’s State-of-the-art plant is already set up with all the equipment to complete a modular process system
- No extra space is required on-site; skid mounted systems are constructed off-site
- Requires a smaller crew and less materials than traditional stick-built operations.
- Modules provide for easy relocation as your business needs change
- Secrecy of process technology is protected as fabrication occurs behind closed doors in EPIC’s state-of-the-art plant.
- Higher quality is achieved through controlled, production style skid construction of the system in the plant
EPIC follows best practices during the fabrication and assembly of all modular process systems that we build. Some of these fabrication steps include, but are not limited to:
- Electrical wiring per NFPA National Electric Code
- Mechanical assembly
- Sheet metal fabrication
- Structural fabrication
EPIC follows a strict quality assurance (QA) policy during the following project stages to guarantee the success of skid mounted systems:
- Component inspection
- Part fabrication
- Plant construction management
- Plant installation
- Project staging
- System fabrication and assembly
- System shipment